Saturday, June 17, 2006

Attitude

I've been thinking about attitude a lot over the past couple of days.
A quote from Viktor Frankl (who survived a Nazi concentration camp):
"The one thing you cannot take away from me is the way I choose to
respond to what you do to me. The last of one's freedoms is to choose
one's attitude in any given circumstance." It's so true that attitude
affects everything, and yet - remarkably - it's something we have
complete control and choice over each day. Often we think of people
(or God?) making life difficult for us, and yet it is we who control
how we will react to to those actions, right? Over the last few
months, I've been challenging myself to check my attitude
periodically.

We met someone with an amazing attitude last Sunday. Bernadette is a
new friend who discovered a brain tumour 10 years ago. In the
operating room, there was a slight slip of the doctor's hand, and she
ended up paralyzed on her right side. She couldn't speak for 6 months,
and then "like a child" she had to learn to talk, and say her
children's names, and walk again. Bernadette is an amazing woman -
full of faith, life, joy, love, determination, and a love of soccer!

No comments: