Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Acts of Kindness

When you're in a new place (country, school, city, etc.), acts of kindness can make all the difference. Yesterday (at least) 3 people showed me kindness.

My dad is currently at the World Cup in Germany (not playing, but just watching/volunteering). Yesterday morning, one of our neighbours said, "Rochelle, I saw your dad on TV at the world cup last night!" I said, "oh really?" and she replied, "I'm just kidding, but I knew it would make your day!" So cute!

In the evening I was getting a ride home, and squished in the back seat. Everyone was laughing and speaking in Shona, and I heard the word "murungu" (white person) a few times. I didn't understand what they were saying, so I wondered if people were laughing at me, and I was feeling a bit lonely. Then this one girl, Noreen, just started talking to me, in English, about every day things. I almost cried - it was so kind. Being referred to as murungu feels awful. I feel like shouting "get to know me for me, not just for my skin colour!" but then I realized last night that I've probably done this dozens of time - referred to someone as "the Chinese lady" or "the Indian gentleman" or "the homeless guy" - giving them a label rather than actually knowing them. A good lesson.

And yesterday afternoon, I was explaining to someone how I was feeling a bit faint, and I think I'm just getting used to the higher altitude here. She said, "I want to tell you something, but I'm a bit shy to say it." I insisted and then she went on, "I used to feel faint like that when I was pregnant..." I thought it was very kind. But don't get too excited, Mom! I'm fairly sure I'm not pregnant...

Anyway, I thought I would share these kindnesses, to encourage more. It really does make a difference!

1 comment:

Agent of Renewal said...

So glad you can access the web and have telephone hook-up. Important lessons being learned and shared via your blog.

Love and prayers, dad