Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hi

Yesterday a man called me at work and said, "Hello my name is Karanga." So I replied "hello." Then he said, "Hello, my name is Karanga." So, I replied, "hello!" For a third time, he said, "Hello, my name is Karanga - are you having trouble hearing me?" :)

It reminded me of a few years ago when I was organizing an exchange programme for students from Thailand. I remember the orientation well, when students were meeting their Canadian host families for the first time. One conversation of a girl meeting her new family stands out particularly in my mind.
"Hello! We are the Russell family. Welcome to Canada. What's your name?"
"Hai."
(a bit louder) "Hi! What is your name?"
"Hai."
(a bit louder and much slower) "Hi. We are the Russells What is your name?"
At this point I jumped in and explained that the student's name was Hai.

Ah - communication is a beautiful thing!

No comments: