Thursday, August 25, 2005

Choice

A few weeks ago I was talking with my friend Nedim and telling him how
grateful I feel for my life, and how thankful I am for all the
opportunities I've had (to go to university, to travel, to be part of
614 in Regent Park, etc.). He looked at me, and said that it makes
sense that I have a good life, because I've always had a lot of
choices. He said that most people in this world don't have a lot of
choice - that most people in this world have once choice, and that
that choice usually isn't all that great of an option.

My friend Nedim is brilliant, and - obviously - wise.

I have wasted so much time in my life agonizing over the choices I
have to make - from major life decisions to silly "what movie should
we rent?" decisions. There's that phrase, "the burden of choice" but
shouldn't we just be a bit more grateful that we have so many choices?

I guess I really want to choose well. I want to make choices that will
never forget about those who don't have choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a well-made point, Rochelle. Many of our choices can have global consequences. Asian children are virtual slaves working in sweatshops so that we can choose between The Gap and Old Navy.

It's good to know that you and John have made the "choice" to serve in Zimbabwe. I'm sure God is going to do great things through you.

Blessings