Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My hero the Candidate

I am absolutely afraid of mice and rats. Terrified. They're cute in the animated movies; not in real life. My fear has amused certain people over the years, but I assure you that it is a real fear. It's somewhat illogical because I am much bigger, but... ewww! (Did I tell you about the time when we were kids and I saw a mouse in our kitchen? I jumped on a chair, as did my brave young brother Joel. We both screamed like girls to the joy of my dad who had to come and see what the trauma was!) Anyway, about 10 minutes ago a mouse ran by my office door. I screamed (in moderation) and it got running. I called John and he asked me what I honestly expected him to do about it. Then, thankfully, the Candidate arrived. Candidates are people who are waiting to go to the training college to be trained as Salvation Army officers/pastors. We have 3 at THQ who are learning about ministry mostly through cleaning offices and serving tea (!?) So Tapihwa came, and I reported the unwanted visitor. He found my fear funny, but went straight to the area I'd seen the mouse run to. He moved a table, and it ran out, so the candidate ran after it down the hallway. There was crashing and banging and then he came back with the dead mouse. He left it lying outside of my door for a few minutes as he finished preparing the tea, and then brought it outside. He is my new hero (sorry John!) Thank the Lord for candidates!

P.S. I just told someone that Tapihwa is my hero. She told me to be careful because that could be interpreted as a political statement. Only those who won the liberation war are allowed to be heroes...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, I am an Australian Salvation Army Officer serving in the Philippines. I often read your site yet have never left a message. I wanted to assure you of my prayers for your family especially as the elections are happening (again!) in coming days.

Debbie
http://spaces.msn.com/debmessy

Anonymous said...

I usually read your site through www.planetsallies.net.nz

I use to serve as a missionary in Zimbabwe and throught Africa. I was based at THQ in an office to the right as you go up the stairs into the main building. I was the I.T. guy at the time.

I is always interesting reading your stories which I can relate to in so many ways ..... but that's Africa!

I will not forget the day I opened my desk draw and there was a cockroach the size I had never seen. The candidates came to the rescue but they sure had a good laugh at my expense.

Commissioner Chigariro, was the SBA at the time and Commissioner Makina was the Chief Sec.

If you see John John at Salt College please give him my regards...We're good mates. Tell him "Spur Yakanaka"!

God Bless

Charlie Chikankata said...

Sorry Rochelle,

This is nowhere near as impressive as the Crocodile my staff slayed!

Hope you are well. We are off home on Thursday. I will be in touch when we get back.

Know our prayers

Richard, Heidie and Luke