Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wrestling

I've never really been into wrestling. My brothers were - and they were devastated as kids when our house got broken into and the robbers stole their wrestling figurines along with my mom's jewelery. A former baby-sitter remembers my two brothers wrestling with my sister while I read in my room. I guess I wasn't too good at defending her - sorry Kirst! WWF Wrestling is really popular here - with adults, kids, men, women, etc.. This morning someone was asking us in the combi if it's real or fake. We gave our opinion that most of it is choreographed/planned/essentially fake. He told us that his 4 year old son had been injured the other day became he climbed to the top of the sofa and jumped off - trying to fly to imitate a move he had seen on wrestling the day before. This father (who's a really good man) thinks it was a good lesson for little Tawanda. Poor little guy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Note from former babysitter: You forgot to mention that they were all wrestling in their underwear. And that you looked up from your reading (you were nine years old...I think you were reading Kafka) to say, "Shouldn't you DO something about this??"

Love your blog - I read it almost every day. Yesterday's was genious. You guys are brilliant!

Love and prayers,
Kerry Brown

jsi said...

Wrestling - ha, whatta trip!

Johnny said...

Rochelle reading Kafka? I doubt that very much. She was probably reading Little House on the Prairie or Sweet Valley High. Although maybe, just maybe, she could have been reading Are You There God? It's Me Margaret.

Whatever Rochelle was reading, I'm sure that she had a pencil handy to underline the important bits.

May transformation be yours,

Gregor Samsa

Anonymous said...

Gregor - you make an excellent point...Kafka is perhaps a trifle dark for our young heroine. But "Sweet Valley High"? Let's split the difference and say it was one of the Bronte sisters.

Transformation...indeed, a veritable "metamorphosis" be yours!

Kerry B. :)

Julianne said...

We spent many a night when we lived in Zimbabwe, crammed in our neighbours house watching WWF. Adults and kids would all get so excited and react quite loudly. I knew I was watching a lot when we were making a trip home and I was in the Joberg airport. A match was on in the restaurant and I thought to myself "I already know who wins that!" Their fascination is quite hilarious!