Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Good things

- Home-made chocolate chip cookies. My friend Sophie sent us a mix. All we needed to do was add milk (powder). We made these Saturday and ate them all within a few hours. Yum!

- Running. Keep it quiet, but we skipped our divisional farewell of the T.C. on Sunday. We've already been to several farewells, including the big territorial one. The vice president of the country was in attendance at that one, and John's white face snapping photos was making her security agents quite nervous. But yeah, we skipped another gift-giving opportunity and ran 18kms on Sunday! John said that after such an athletic feat we both deserved a FULL package of Kraft Dinner. What a splurge!

- Waking up laughing from a dream. This happened to me the other night. My brother Joel was being SO funny that I woke myself (and John) up laughing.

- Electricity. We had power ALL weekend. It was glorious. I did laundry, ironed, cooked, read at night, watched movies... (Life is intense in Zimbabwe, so sometimes you just need an escape from reality - like a comedy).

- Bakeries. When we were home for Christmas, I had this habit of just walking around Toronto with a big goofy grin on my face. Particularly this one day when I passed by a bakery - FULL of bread. I had to double-take and go in. I just stood in the midst of all of this bread and was smiling. The lady asked if I was ok and I said, "it's just so good to see bread in a bakery." I may have told you that one before, but trust me, it was a memory I've been feasting from! :)

- Flip flops on Mt. Royal. Before we left for Zim, I went to visit my sister in Montreal (now she lives in Vancouver) and we hiked Mt. Royal. She wore flip flops! This past Christmas I convinced her to walk from Yonge & Bloor to U of T and then down to Harbourfront. And she wore high heel boots. I love my fashionable footwear sister so much!

- Toilet paper. I know, I know, it's bad for the environment, and a luxury item, but I just like it.

- Sick days when you're not TOO sick. I stayed home yesterday - exhausted, headachy and runny-nosed. I watched "Eve & The Firehorse" (great Canadian movie) and read "The English patient" (great Canadian novel). I guess maybe I was homesick as well as being home sick...

- Milk straight from the bag. Yep - I had to add this one, because we just got back from lunch - and we found FRESH MILK in the shops - so we came back to the office and drank it straight from the bag. Mmmm. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rochelle and John,
I truly enjoy reading your blogs. And as I read, I pray for you.

Fronie

(You are missing a nice snow storm in Toronto today!)

jsi said...

Cookies and milk, running and a full weekend of electricity...you have simple pleasures! What a blessing

jsi said...

Hi Rochelle! In a game of tag, I was tagged on my site and now, you are tagged For a future post,
1. Pick up the nearest book, of at least 123 pages 2. Turn to page 123 3. Count down 5 sentences 4. Post the next three sentences 5. Tag 5 more people

I look forward to seeing what you are reading.

KangaRoo said...

Bakeries - Wow. Meanwhile here in America, our corps picks up a truckload of 12hr old bread and cakes that the stores want to get rid of because they have a new batch being baked. Some days we can even give out enough bread to our clients because there is too much and we end up throwing dozens of loaves out.

So I asked my husband to hurry up and invent the teleporter as seen in star trek so that we could send all that bread over there! Of course, then he went throught the arduous task of explaining why a teleporter will never work. =P

Yet I'm sure John's making yummy bread for the two of you!