Saturday, January 19, 2008

Thankful

I chose my theme Bible verse for the year. It's Romans 12:12 "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." I hope I can live this out.

I am just feeling so thankful right now... for so many things. Here are a few:

* I'm thankful that I married the right person.

* I'm thankful to live in Zimbabwe. It's a crazy place (we just got new $1million, $5million and $10million notes!) but I am becoming a more whole person here. I am amazed at how much my heart and mind keep being stretched. I am learning faith, patience, endurance, survival, joy and hope in Zimbabwe.

* I'm thankful that both my parents, both my brothers and my sister are alive - and that we're a close, crazy, loving family. I'm thankful for extended family too.

* I'm thankful for the way I was raised in my family and in The Salvation Army.

* I'm thankful for my health (I just ran 15kms, and my knees are sore, but I feel so alive!)

* I'm thankful for the little girl who held her dog as I ran by so that I wouldn't have to worry about being bitten!

* I'm thankful for my ears to listen to music and a voice to sing (recommended CD - "Send Me" University of Toronto Gospel Choir - it's awesome).

* I'm thankful for eyes to see and to read (recommended book - "In the country of men" Hisham Matar - set in the Libyan revolution - a great read).

* I'm thankful that I went to public school and learned to have an open mind. And I'm thankful that I grew up in a country where I could think and say anything I wanted to.

* I'm thankful for good friends, and for knowing so, so many good people.

* I'm thankful for daily bread, a husband who cooks and a place to live

* I'm thankful for running water and electricity, this computer and our washing machine.

* I'm thankful for the many different seasons in my life.

*I'm so, so thankful that I know God and that God shows me love, mercy, compassion, patience and miracles every day.

P.S. I'm also thankful for our vacation in Canada (pictures are now posted on the photos page!)

2 comments:

Charlie Chikankata said...

Thanks Rochelle for the reminder to keep things in perspective. We have a lot to give thanks for!

Stay strong and know our prayers

Richard and Heidie

joel.ivany said...

You rock sis.

I just ran 12km today. You beat me. I think I have to go further because if you can, then so can I :)

love you and miss you.