Thursday, March 15, 2007

Coloured toilet paper

Our toilet paper comes in beautiful shades of pink, green and blue. Forget the old, boring white stuff! Although... we started thinking the other day about how healthy it is to be putting artificial colouring in these sensitive body areas. Hmmmm. Today I am tired of coloured toilet paper. I am sick again and so I'm on like a roll a day. I remember the good old days of kleenex and 2-ply toilet paper. They do sell it here, but I can't bring myself to having that kind of luxury. I'm tempted though...

Tuesday I read the book "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly." It was written by Jean-Dominique Bauby - who was the editor-in-chief of Elle magazine in Paris and then had a massive stroke - becoming paralyzed and losing all physical abilities except for blinking his left eyelid. He "dictated" the book by having people go through the alphabet and blinking on the letter he wanted. His book talks about his being caught in his useless, dead-weight body, and yet the adventures and travels that take place in his mind. He talks about his desire to reach out to his young kids - how they would call him and talk to him on the phone in the hospital, and how he would long to be able to say a few words back. How he longed to reach out and tousle their hair or grab them in a hug or tell them those beautiful words, "I love you." So, I guess I shouldn't really complain about a stupid cold...

No comments: