Saturday, October 07, 2006

Random Thoughts

I realized this morning that in my dreams, I'm always in Canada. I'm not sure exactly why. During the day, when I'm awake, I feel very present here in Zim. But I guess my subconscience must think of home a lot. I like it though. It's good to spend time with family and friends - if only in my dreams (literally!) The other night John woke me up and asked if I was alright. I was dreaming about my parents telling me funny stories, and was laughing in my sleep.

People here generally don't drink milk as a drink. They just have milk in their tea. You buy milk in little 500ml bags, and it's 3.5%. It's great for me. I grew up in a 2% milk family. John prefers skim, so we had to negotiate when we got married and get 1%. But man, 3.5% is nice (and might be contributing to the weight gain!!) :) Fresh bread is nice too. I got a loaf last night - sorry a "super loaf." :)

It's been a really intense week. We had the funeral last weekend. Then Monday night we were at a surprise party, and danced the night away. (Again, it was great, people kept on commenting on how we're such good dancers, when really we're both pathetic - maybe they just think that's the way Canadians dance, culturally!) And all week I've been on this bereavement course. It was amazing, and I learned a lot, but it was emotionally draining. I think maybe one of the toughest parts about being a social worker is just staying with people in their feelings. We always want to help and fix and make things better. But sometimes you just have to sit with people in their pain, and not run from it. I did have to have some Kraft Dinner for self-care though. By the way, I think good old regular is much better than "extra creamy" (just for those of you considering a care package...) :)

The pre-retirement seminar I've been organizing for next week has been postponed. And I watched 4 episodes of LOST (Season 1) today. I'm getting psyched for Season 2 - which I'm told is in the mail. Did you know that in Shona culture, you shouldn't mourn for a baby (up to teething age)? And it's bad to see the deceased in your dreams. Bad omens. And it's ant season here - there are ants EVERYWHERE in our kitchen!

I TOLD you this would be random! (Welcome to our life!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your words of wisdom - "somtimes you just have to sit with people in their pain, and not run from it"....that really evoked powerful memories and helped me to see a situation in a different light.
thanks,
Pepsi