Thursday, February 09, 2006

Recabites

I was struck in my devotions this morning by the Recabites. They're in the Bible, in Jeremiah 35. They're a people who follow a covenant that their ancestor Jehonadab made - so they don't drink wine, and they never build houses, sow seeds or plant vineyards; always living in tents. God compares them to the people of Judah, and commends the Recabites for being obedient and following, so He says that there will never fail to be one of their descendants to serve the Lord.
 
Hmmm... no wine, and not settling in one place or accumulating too much, but always being prepared to get up and move and just trust God in that. Sounds like my branch of the Church! Maybe if we stick true, there will never fail to be one of our descendants serving the Lord.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was struck by this story. Once again, thankful for the daily discovery we can have through Scripture, but also being embarrassed I have not seen this before. The word that struck me was "legacy". What kind of legacy will flow past our days to the days of our children and the following generations. Jonadab gave one command and it was followed. Was he revered for the zealousness for the Lord he displayed while ridding those who served other gods with Jehu? Regardless, what kind of legacy will we pass down?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was also impressed with this story in reading Jeremiah this morning - so I went to the Web to try to discover who present day Recabites might be - since the Lord promised to preserve them throughout the ages. If you have light on this, please share.

FeliciaBirchwell said...

So, God wanted me to read Jeremiah too! And when I did..I just had to know more about the Recabites. When i googled them, I came across this blog. Isn't it amazing how God put in on all of our hearts to read this?

jon said...

I also was reading Jeremiah this morning and came across the Recabites. I wanted to find out more about them and came upon this blog. Thank you all for your comments.