Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Just a little competitive

I don't consider myself to be a very competitive person, but there are some exceptions, such as board games with John and walking.
 
I walk fast. Yesterday I was on my usual morning walk, and something unusual happened - a pedestrian passed me. Again, I walk fast, so, when walking down the street, I always pass people, they don't usually pass me. So, I sped up a bit, but his legs were much longer than mine, and he kept getting ahead (PLUS I had already been walking for about 45 minutes - totally unfair advantage!) Basically we raced for about 12 minutes. Now, John thinks that this other person (a businessman) did not know that we were racing, but oh - he did! Yes, he tried to appear casual (as did I), but no - he was into it. By the time I got to the office my face was so red! Yep, sometimes I'm ridiculous.
 
The last time this happened, when we got to a street corner, the other guy actually turned to me and said, "you think you're pretty fast, eh?" I was mortified. But walking's the only sport I really like...
 
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rochelle,

You bring me so much joy. Pete and I think of you two often and I read your bolg to see how you two are doing and am always challenged. Praying for you guys!!

Blessings,
Marnie

Gordon said...

Thanks - that made me smile - I'm a competitive pedestrian walker too! At 6'4" (190cm) not many people get past me! :o)

Anonymous said...

Rochelle, you made my day. That was hilarious.

Leslie said...

That is so funny! I would have been mortified too!

KiR said...

Love you Rochelle!
People always tell me here that I walk too fast. Must be an Ivany thing :D

peter said...

Yeah, I too am a bit of a speed walker. My all time favourite is passing the joggers.

Thats when you know you are taking the walking thing too seriously.

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

This was great! What do you mean you don't consider yourself to be a competitive person? Baby - you've got the genes! Sounds to me like you just proved it. Love you! A. Cathie