Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Athletics

Monday night I was inspired by hearing Vicky Keith. She is a marathon swimmer who now does a lot of coaching and advocacy for kids who have disabilities. Her whole thing is that nothing is impossible. She once swam for over 135 hours continuously. Yeah, 135 hours. That is crazy! In addition to the whole swimming for over 5 days thing in a pool... She swam across Lake Ontario and back. She swam across each of the Great Lakes in 2 months. She thinks it's about having a bit of skill and a whole lot of determination. She's trying to raise $1million to help athletes who are children and who have physicial disabilities. Check it out - www.penguinscanfly.ca She has amazing stories about kids overcoming their challenges too (like a girl who had to have her arms and legs amputated and yet swam across Lake Ontario!)
 
I think this type of determination is amazing. Truly amazing! I was truly inspired an challenged. I also think this type of determination is the reason I am not an athlete. I hit the pain mark and think, "why on earth would I continue to do this activity?" whereas others hit the pain mark, love it, and keep going.
 
Although... the other day I took an aquafit class in my building (aerobics in the water). I don't want to brag too much, but I feel confident in saying that I was the most athletic in the whole class. OK, well, I was also the only person in the class who wasn't a senior citizen, but still....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is inspiring, a guy from one of my classes is working full time while taking up full time schooling, 4 classes, and he said you can push yourself to do anything if you want to. Hopefully, i'll want to when the time comes.
i'm sure u have great talents for swiming aroebics, i'm not a swimmer.
Pepster