Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Black & Blue

A very odd things happened to me this morning. I went in for my shower, and noticed that my legs were completely dark blue. At first I thought I was still asleep, and then I wondered what kind of dreams I'd been having. They looked completely bruised. Thankfully most of the blue came off with soap. I guess my new jeans had dyed my legs (which explains the incredible sale price!).
 
Of course, this also made me think of women who really do have bruises all over their legs and faces, etc. The other day I was walking into my church building and a guy drove by the entrance on his bike screaming, "I'm going to kill you, you b****! I swear it - I'm going to kill you!" The woman he was screaming at was behind the glass windows, and already had a huge bruise on her face.
 
Violence against women sickens me and scares me. Yes, I know there's also violence against men, but, if you look at the statistics, the type of violence and the severity of it is much worse when it's men against women. I interviewed a woman recently who had the amazing courage to leave her abusive husband. Her name's Ilona. You can check out her story if you want - www.salvationarmy.ca
 

No comments: