Saturday, February 24, 2007

Inner Conflict

Last night I went to a send-off party/prayer meeting for two officer friends who are moving to the U.K. I had arrived late, because I was at choir, so I tried to "slip in" and sit on the floor right near the door. Someone suggested that I go sit with the ladies, but it would have meant walking right in front of the person giving the speech, so I said I was ok. Well, it turned out to be a big commotion until I went over and huddled with all of the other ladies. All the men, of course, were sitting on chairs. When it came time for tea, a couple of women were appointed to bring a jug and basin around to everyone (men first, of course) and wash their hands. Usually I do this, and people love to see me on my knees - taking my place and fulfilling my role - because it's respectful of culture, and shows that I want to fit in. Tea and cakes were served to everyone, but a special plate of meat was brought out for the territorial commander (the leader of The Salvation Army here) because he had come to the party. To give some context... I had spent the day with orphans dressed in ripped clothes (at a non-Army centre as the Army doesn't even have one orphanage in this country) and eating the peanut butter sandwiches we gave them as quickly as they could because they were so hungry.

I am a person of values and principles. Here are two values that I hold on to dearly:

1. I believe that all human beings have value and dignity, and were created in the image of God. I believe, thus, that all human beings are equal.

2. I am an anti-racist and an anti-colonialist. I respect other people's cultures and beliefs profoundly.

I think I have some inner conflict when these values conflict! I came to Zimbabwe swearing that I would listen and learn rather than teach. I came to Zimbabwe knowing that there was a lot of bitterness here against a race that had dominated for too long, and so I came to Zimbabwe determined to be humble, and to fit in, and to respect the way things are done here. I'm absolutely committed to this attitude, and yet... I'm also committed to the idea that all people are equal.

I admire they way Zimbabweans show respect to each other. But something screams within me when some people are treated with so much more honour and respect than others. When I taught at the training college the other day, I ate lunch afterwards with the staff. We had a totally different (and much better) meal than the students. But I ate it - I didn't want to cause a fuss. Last Sunday we went to a Salvation Army event and were invited to have lunch before the service. It was all the officers and us. And we were hungry, so we ate. But it also felt wrong to eat in front of everyone else. Our territorial leaders always get gifts at every event, and it's a sign of respect to them (and it's "cultural" because this is what you would do for a clan chief too). But it also feels wrong that the "rich" keep getting richer at the expense of the "poor." Jesus showed an undeniable concern and favour for the poor and marginalized people of his time, and so especially as followers of Jesus in the Church, it pains me to see those people remaining at the "bottom" of the heap. And yet, I don't want to have a critical/judgmental attitude either or come in with a "superior" mind-set (and I obviously know that my own culture has a lot of problems/issues too, but I feel more free to express those!) See my inner conflict?

6 comments:

Charlie Chikankata said...

Hey Rochelle,

See James 1 v 11 - this has helped us alot. It's not wealth or privilege that is a man's downfall, it's his pursuit. Jesus rarely (if ever) taught again having wealth or privileges, he preached matters relating to the heart, attitudes, spirit, helping the poor and service (the story of Good Samaritan is a good example). Sound to me like you've got it just right

Blessings

Richard

ps Colonialism - that another thing altogther. Just seen The Last King of Scotland, you should try and see if you get the chance.

olivia. said...

oh man, rochelle...i just don't even know.

i might feel a bit of conflict over the woman thing as well-- actually, i do feel that conflict in my current culture as well. i desire to be a servant, but when it seems that only the women are serving, something in me wants to go and chat with the men and leave the kitchen.

but i suppose that the only thing that would work in my situation is not me refusing to help, but one of the men choosing to serve.

but i still am baffled by what you're going through. God give Rochelle wisdom, please.

Anonymous said...

G'day Rochelle,
I visited Zimbabwe some years ago and was completely surprised by the hierarchical way the army operated. It is of course often ineffective for getting things done. There is a lack of accountability and honest feedback in the way leadership functions. Guarenteed respect by virtue of position rather than performance is not all that healthy. It also sidesteps our affirmation of the absolute equality of men and women in ministry. Particulalry in a territory where there are far more women soldiers than men soldiers anyway.

This is a culture that needs countering. I'm sure Jesus told some parables on just these issues, something about the first and last etc.

Grant

armybarmy said...

I'll pray that God will grant you a strategic and godly way to outwork your inner angst.... holy discontent is a gift - I pray God fuels it in you so it overflows and reaps righteousness to those around you... He is your wisdom... I'd imagine your response will be different in every situation... listen for His voice above all others.
Great Grace sister.
Danielle

Anonymous said...

So right Rochelle...I think that people with privilege are burdened by that consciously or no. Being honoured, appreciated now in Canada means having more stuff to take home when being listened to (having people show that they heard something you had to say and learned from it) is so much more gratifying.

Back at your true home church I have learned so much of civility, more than I've ever learned at Bay Street luncheons.

Andrea614regent

Kapten Clark said...

I may be way off base here, and I don't for a moment want to minimize your conflict! But it occurs to me that from the perspective of the Zambians, it is as if the TC eats the meat on their behalf. There is not enough meat for them ALL to get a piece, so they give it to him. Is this heresy (on my part)?

I have to laugh a bit at the story about where you sat. I feel like I'm always "sitting in the wrong place" but it is just part of the background now, all those little mistakes.

Keep talking and thinking about these things. We do not worship culture, and there are some cultural things that should change. That's not colonialism, or at least it doesn't have to be! Think of cultural expectations that the first Christians changed inside their own community!

My conflict isn't male/female but Estonian/Russian. But the same principle applies. We are all one in Christ Jesus.