Thursday, May 11, 2006

No cakes, no children, no celebration


We live on a compound, along with many other people. There are several pensioners who live there and get a reasonable rate for rent. Last night I went to visit a couple named Alice and Mac. Mac was actually born in Scotland. He was telling me about his life as an engineer, and in the Navy. He said his first wife (actually, he said his white wife) left him and ran away to marry a man in South Africa. "I don't blame her though. Love is strong. In fact, it's the strongest thing in this world." Alice is Ndebele, and she is one of those people that's very happy and very sad at the same time. I discovered that it was actually her birthday yesterday. But as she explained, there were no cakes for her (sugar shortage), no children to celebrate with (all 3 of her children have died) and therefore no real celebration. My heart broke for them. She asked if I could act as her daughter. She also asked if I was enjoying Zimbabwe. I said yes, and she laughed. "Don't worry... soon you will hate it. People here are suffering."

Kids went back to school on Tuesday. A big stress for parents was the increased school fees, plus the price of school uniforms, etc. Yesterday I was talking to a man who feels so much shame about not being able to provide school uniforms for his children, despite his job. "And my wife... she would like a sewing machine, but that is impossible. So she feels I'm not providing for her."

I feel humbled. Please keep Zimbabweans in your prayers. Love IS the strongest thing in this world.

3 comments:

Christina said...

Thank you for this powerful story. We take so much for granted in Canada. I have a sewing machine and I hardly ever use it.

I will continue to read what you post here. Hopefully, I will be able to prayerfully develop humility and be grateful for what I have.

May God continue to give you His peace, grace and joy as you live our your testimony.

XO from Canada...
Christina

Hezza said...

Seriously - what I'm hearing from your end of the world gives me a lot of perspective...

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
» »