Tuesday, May 23, 2006

In the news

I've been feeling really cut off from the world - not being able to access the www, not having a t.v., etc. but yesterday I got a hold of some newspapers. I read an interesting story about a couple from Kenya that actually took place 2 years ago. There was a writer who returned to Kenya from self-exile, and the first night he was back, he returned to his house, and was heading into the bedroom, where his wife was already sleeping. 4 gunmen broke into the house, ransacked it, and demanded money. Even though they were given the money, they started raping the wife - in front of her husband. A tragic situation. But the article I was reading was about all the debate that has surrounded the case ever since - basically around whether or not this husband should divorce his wife. Most agree that he should - because she has been violated - and right in front of him. Tainted goods. The article was saying that actually most African women keep rape a secret - even from their husbands - so that they will not have to face divorce. For the men, this is connected to pride and shame (staying married to a woman who has been with another man), and also HIV/AIDS. I was shocked and angered at this article. Honestly - a woman undergoes the trauma and violation of rape, and then she has to keep it a secret so that she will not further be divorced and isolated and rejected?

In other news, my dad sent me an article about the recent changes to legislation in Canada, allowing for temporary residence permits of up to 120 days for trafficked persons (as well as exemption from the processing fee and eligibility for health coverage under Interim Federal Health). These were elements of a proposal I wrote up for government, so it's good to see that I had such a big impact so quickly!!! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
»