Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Night at the Balmoral

Whew - we're not too good at this whole keep-up-to-date-on-the-blog thing. We just got back from a nice trip to B.C. Lots of good times with Nana, Barbie and the gang. And another tearful airport good-bye. I'm tired of good-byes. Oh well.

We got down to Seattle for the day and went to the aquarium. And I got to see my oldest friend Julie's baby - so cute!

I also spent a day visiting my sister in the downtown eastside of Vancouver. My sister is currently  - by choice - living in Vancouver's worst slum hotel (the Balmoral) and I had an interesting sleepover with her. She let me have her bed and enjoyed some time with the mice on the floor (thank you, Kirsten - I have a strong aversion to mice!) It actually wasn't THAT bad (well, ok, the shower was bad!) Being in the downtown eastside with my sister for the day made me proud of her - how she's living in this oppressed place and just meeting people and learning how to love them and building community. While we were walking down one alley way she showed me a building where trees are mysteriously growing out of the side of the building. It was beautiful. In such a "hopeless" place, you never know where beauty will grow or when it will surprise you.

Anyway, there's lots to share, but you could always just check out HER blog (on the side panel). Kirsten Ivany - got to love her! (I do!)

No comments: