Tuesday, January 31, 2006

15 minutes continuously

So, we have a mini gym in our apartment building, and I've been using the facilities. What can I say? A new year's resolution to do some form of exercise. I like the cross-trainer (the machine where you run and move your arms like cross-country skiing), but have been avoiding the treadmill like the plague. I HATE running. But then I got to thinking that there will likely not be cross-trainers in Zimbabwe, but there will be land where I can run. So, I tried the treadmill the other day, and ran for 4 minutes. It almost killed me.

Today I ran for 15 minutes continuously. Now, trust me, I realize this is not a marathon (John's the marathon man), but for me this is a huge athletic victory. Yay!

This reminds me of when I was helping out in a grade 3 classroom and they were playing soccer baseball. I was put on one of the teams and actually kicked a grand slam (where all the bases are loaded and you get a home run). It was incredible. Most of the kids had never even seen a grand slam before. Never mind that I was 20 years older than them - it was huge.

So, I'm thinking maybe the Olympics...

No comments: