Thursday, April 02, 2009

It took us all day to eat lunch

Not because it was a huge lunch. But because when you have a baby and you don't have a car, you need to plan. We wanted to meet my friend for lunch downtown at 12, so at 9 I started preparing and we left here around 10. We did catch an excellent art exhibit on the way (in honour of Refugee Rights Day) and then arrived home after 3pm. Sometimes TTC is excellent and accessible. Sometimes streetcar drivers refuse to help you and subway elevators aren't working.

We did meet an interesting man on the subway. He struck up a conversation as soon as we got on. He was in full Blue Jays gear and complimenting the baby. Then he shared that he used to hold his friend's baby, but the last time that he did this (or spoke to his friend) was in 1986. The friend - John - refused to speak to him because he thought the Blue Jays fan was being strange with his wife. "I wonder what that baby girl looks like now. I guess she's a woman. I miss that friend and his family." The gentleman shared (in 4 stops!) that he has a learning disability and a mild form of psychosis. He wonders if he'll ever have a girlfriend. He had one girl that was a friend, but she blocked his number, because she said he was too intense. I felt bad for the guy. He was very friendly and obviously very lonely. He just wants love and acceptance. Would I be his friend? When he mentioned psychosis, he looked at the stroller and said "there's no cure. I just have to live with it." What a lonely life.

No comments: