Thursday, September 25, 2008

Size discrimination

I went to pick up one of my maternity shirts at the drycleaners' yesterday. They got the stain out, so that was a blessing, but I noticed that the price was quite high. I asked the lady why she was charging me for cleaning a dress. She answered "this is a dress!" I explained that no, it was a shirt, and not possibly long enough for a dress. I showed her the shirt I was wearing, and said that it's the same thing - a maternity shirt. But she insisted that it's so big that it needs to be charged as a dress. I hate being ripped off. I'm huge, but not that huge. John's shirts are still bigger than mine. I think it's a CLEAR case of size discrimination!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just want to let you know that you most likely were not ripped off. 80% of the cost of drycleaning is the finishing, and finishing is still done by hand. If you ever tried to iron a shirt - you know it would take you at least half an hour. A reasonable hourly rate (to include tax, overhead, workmans comp, equiment, etc) would be over $60 - depending where you live. So I bet that shirt wasn't as expensive as you thought. Really its a deal. And it did take your dry cleaner extra time to press the extra material.

Unknown said...

Half an hour to iron a shirt? Are you kidding me?! 5 minutes - tops. I iron about 5 shirts a week and I can promise you it doesn't take me 2.5hrs - it doesn't even take 30 minutes!