Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ahem, yes I'm the new secretary!

You are looking at (ok, well reading the words of) the newest Secretary to the Executive council of the Zimbabwe AIDS Network - Harare chapter. Yep, I won the election today. The funny part is that no one even knows my real name - I ran as Amai Shumba, because I knew no one would be able to understand spell either my first or last (real) name. It will be a lot of work - but great exposure.

In other news, we're still without power at work - it's been over a week now. It makes you realize how dependent you are on computers! The Pritchetts are visiting Zimbabwe, and it's wonderful to have faces from home - they brought us chocolate and Pringles too - God is good. And our friends the Wards are heading to Pakistan to lead The Salvation Army there - which is huge! There's a short little update. 2 months til we land in Toronto for Christmas....

2 comments:

sixonefour said...

why did you choose amai shumba? what does it mean?

I think you're great. Enjoy those pringles. Once you pop, you just can't stop... (!)

grace,
Heather

Marguerite Ward said...

I just wrote you but Bob lost it when he was trying to sign me in. I am so happy to have found your blog and enjoyed hearing about your days. We are pleased to see that you continue to be happy and innovative. Good on you for the bagels. We had a friend in Pak who used to make bagels but I had forgotten about that or I might have tried them myself during Zim days. I was pleased to hear that you are connected to the AIDS Network, I always wanted Norma to get more connected to them as I know they can help us as well. It sounds like you continue to keep busy - didn't you know that you never take the secretary job. It's the hardest! Sorry to hear about the elec - that does seem to be getting worse. WE are looking forward to seeing you at Christmas. I am going to let Bob try to send this again - if it doesn't go I am going to give up for now. Doesn't sound like the Zim survival spirit does it? Please give our love to David and Brenda. We think of you all so often but we don't seem to find the time to keep in touch with everyone. I am learning about groupings etc so perhaps I will get technological yet!! Love to you both and to your neighbours!

Marguerite